A Nigerian man was reportedly burned alive by three unknown Libyan Nationals in a factory in Tripoli, Libya.
According to a statement by the Libyan interior ministry, in a new reported attack on migrants in the North African country, said that three men stormed a factory in Tripoli, doused a Nigerian worker in petrol, and set him on fire.
Tripoli’s interior ministry on Wednesday confirmed the suspects — all Libyan nationals and had been detained for the attack on the man, who has not been named.
“We are horrified by the killing of a Nigerian migrant worker in Tripoli, #Libya by three men yesterday. The young man was burned alive, in yet again another senseless crime against migrants in the country,” tweeted Federico Soda, head of the UN’s International Organization of Migration mission in Libya. “Those responsible must be held to account.”
The United Nations has described the man’s death “another senseless crime against migrants in the country.”
Last month, Amnesty International released a report detailing “horrific cycles of abuses” of migrants in Libya, including unlawful killings, enforced disappearances, torture, and rape.
The rights group says that the coronavirus pandemic has exacerbated the abuse.
The Chairman/CEO Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa has described the act as dastardly, beastial and unacceptable. Hon Dabiri-Erewa called on the Libyan Authorities to apply the full weight of the law on the suspected Killers.